How can we improve Hive Active Heating™ and what would you like to see developed next?

Landlord Mode

We own a self catering holiday let, the property being some distance from our home. Hive is ideal for our needs but would be perfect if it had a "Landlord" mode, for example, lock the thermostat controls to prevent:

- Users from configuring Hive from the thermostat.
- Or a complete lock to prevent any local adjustments.
- Set an upper and/or lower limit on thermostat temperature settings.
- Stop users from turning heating on during "Frost Protect".

All features to be optional.

650 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

194 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 5 HMO's and I had HIVE in them. It was useless as a landlord as so easy to bypass and I ended up with the tenants setting it to 24x7 heating at 25 degrees.

I hunted around and found a brilliant solution specific for rental properties. It is amazing. Already dropped from 13 hours a day heating to 2-4 hours and no one has complained !!!!!

I cant recommend it highly enough.

As I bought 5 I got a 7.5% discount which you should be able to use. I think it was meant for 15 purchases but I still got it.

The solution is called Inspire Home Automation. https://www.inspirehomeautomation.co.uk/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=105

Use the code ll-HMO15 for the discount.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should now force the thermostat back to manual if boost or schedule exceeds the maximum temperature. Have tested it a bit and seems to work alright in both the cloud and local version. Let me know your findings if anyone gets a chance to try it.

Hi Pat. I have just added a version that only runs in the browser. This version does not transmit any data to my backend servers instead it all goes directly to Hive. The downside of this is that the browser must remain open at all times while it is running.

• Pat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thomas
    This sounds feasible and useful. I use IFTTT at present to return the heating to scheduled temperature if someone abuses the heating. Yours sounds even better. Look forward to seeing more about this.

I have made a small app for maximum temperature: https://hive.thomascoward.co.uk/

It's experimental and in beta. The main issue is that it requires the password to be stored in plain text. I wouldn't recommend using the service if you have any cameras attached just in case. Though I've taken standard technical procedures to secure the service, it unfortunately needs passwords in plain text.

The best way would be to host an instance of the server yourself on a VPS or a raspberry pi.

Hive are not interested in setting a maximum temperature, this is clear from their lack of development and total denial of a need for this despite many requests. We can only find ways round the problem by running additional software which Hive are happy for us to do. ?😡

Hive - why haven’t you given any comment on this item when it has many more votes than loads of ideas that are under consideration or even started!! This has to be a simple and low cost software change that would be easy to do when compared to other large items that have been developed such as the home camera

What stops a tenant from just moving the thermostat to a colder room. This is what my tenants are doing

• Fara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add tamper proofing from the app this is essential for landlords.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply allowing the Maximum temperature to be prelocked would be an enormous step forward. I bought a Hive so I could control my temperature, not just watch it. Why is 32 degrees even an option? Pets could die.

• RB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Hive. The bill payer needs to be able to set a maximum thermostat setting which can be locked.

Why would we want to have some control? Some guests in holiday homes feel they have the right to waste energy as they are of the opinion that they’ve paid for it. Would you turn your thermostat up to 32 and leave it on 24/7 then open doors and windows to let the heat out? I’ve never had a complaint about guests being cold, quite the opposite most appreciate the care I take to maximise their comfort. It only takes one guest to cause problems.

Why would you want to do that, if this was a cottage I visited I would not go back, and would leave bad reviews.
    Oh by the way there is a pin to lock the thermostat.

• Damien Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Richard, the disconnection problem is difficult to solve with software because as soon as it's disconnected then I have no control over the Hive hardware in the house. An email alert system is probably quite easy to add. I guess the best way to prevent disconnection is to put the router and hub somewhere where the tenants can't access them in a locked cupboard somewhere and maybe have a wifi extender to increase the signal strength if the cupboard reduces it. Disconnection alert system is definitely possible though so I'll put it on the todo list for the cloud version of my software

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thanks Pat - I have just realised that I do this already :-)
    So there would be no need for Damien to add that.
    At the moment I can see that Damien's USP over IFTTT is the stopping of tenant's changing the schedule directly from the stat - the only way to catch them would be to check the Hive app/website constantly.
    If it helps you can set Damien's program to any amount of minutes before the schedule resets.

To Damien and Richard
    Regarding people moving the thermostat into the fridge etc. my way round this one is to set up the low and high temperature alerts already available on Hive, when I get an alert of a suspiciously low temperature, then I know they are fiddling the system. I have found IFTTT so easy to use in resetting the schedule every hour (I do allow them to turn the thermostat up if the house is chilly when they get in) but I know it will never be running indefinitely.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Damien - I like it a lot. The benefits over IFTTT are, as I see it, IFTTT might be a bit daunting for some landlords, the schedule can be set to 1 minute instead of 15 minutes. I particularly like that it stops the tenant from changing the schedule from their unit as it works from your download of the schedule - very clever. I was also able to run 2 programs simultaneously to control 2 of my houses, so that's good
    However my pc is not on 24/7 so the cloud version would be very welcome, as I am happy with IFTTT at the mo.
    Going forward, my biggest problem is tenants disconnecting the hub from the internet - then I have no control - are you able to work a text/ email notification into the software to alert users that Hive is offline? Or even to lock the stat itself to the schedule?
    Can you think of a work around for tenants putting the stat outside to give a false low reading - thereby turning the boiler on?
    These 3 problems happen all the time with me :-(
    I think it's really good and look forward to seeing the cloud version.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base