How can we improve Hive Active Heating™ and what would you like to see developed next?

Backup & Restore of schedule & Temperature data

We had a hive failure where the boiler receiver module died completely. BG replaced the module but we were horrified to discover that our heating & hot water schedules and historic temperature data had defaulted to an 'as new installation'.

I was under the impression that this data was also stored on the Hive servers but after contacting Hive technical, it was apparent that the data isn't stored and it isn't retrievable.

So, our 6+ months of historic temperature data have gone for good! and we had to re-program our schedules. Now the schedules I'm less bothered about as these can be jotted down, but I was rather looking forward to seeing how our temperatures panned out over the year.

If you don't store this and make it update able in case a piece of Hive hardware goes faulty, how about enabling us customers to export it or save it and restore it? Bet most Hive customers believed you held the data centrally, and you wouldn't lose it if a part of the system was replaced.

78 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Trapdoor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A back up facility is essential. I have 28 devices on my system, with multiple schedules for actions and on/off settings. My system has suffered from synthetic schedules (rouge schedule data on server that causes on/off switching outside of your actual schedule) on two occasions already, each time requiring Hive third line support to perform a complete reset and default the hub and schedules.when this happens it takes me hours to re-link and name the devices, and then to re-enter all of the schedules and actions. Please introduce the facility to back-up the programming before I have to waste many hours reprogramming the system again.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

British has sent me a new hub and bulbs. Great I thought, so removed nano v1 hub with nano v2 hub and hey presto everything is gone!! Really hive!! Why aren't the devices and my settings backup up? This is ridiculous that anytime someone upgrades their hub then you have to resync all your devices and then tediously setup your hot water and heating schedules again. Surely it is simple to save a users setup either with the iOS app or server end, and then once upgrade of hub occurs then do a restore from app of web interface. This is very poor at the moment, please fix this British has and Hive team.

• PaulL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hub had to be replaced (excellent customer service received) but having to remember the schedules for heating, 2 motion sensors and 4 bulbs and re-input it is a nightmare and putting me off adding more devices. If not stored in out accounts then we should have a backup/restore schedule option in the App so we can hold local copies.

And loosing my history for the year is a nightmare. I'm frustrated you can't compare Year on Year so loosing the last 5 months is very annoying. It defeats the whole point of having it if kit failure looses your data.

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was unaware of this. Even if data is not stored, or until it is, could data be made available via a .csv file?

Feedback and Knowledge Base