How can we improve Hive Active Heating™ and what would you like to see developed next?

API

I know it's early days but it would be nice to have a published API to the service to allow technical users to do things like backup their schedules, integrate with IFTTT, etc. I'm thinking a REST style API via the web - as opposed to any direct interface to the local hardware as I imagine that would be more difficult to provide.

530 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark traverseMark traverse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a perfectly serviceable rest API available which I am using to fully remote control my Hive Heating within my MQTT mSB.
        BG haven't documented this and I suspect, don't support or maintain it, but it works well. http://www.smartofthehome.com/2016/05/hive-rest-api-v6/

A very kind person has also captured the methods in POSTMAN which makes API discovery and testing straightforward and also provides code snippets in just about any programming language or scripting you would want.

• MurphMurph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whilst I'd be happy with any API one that works inside the boundaries of my domestic network would be preferable. I want to still be able to control things in the absence of an internet connection. And simply because direct is going to be faster and more reliable.

Pragmatically we need both - but I can see that there may be less friction in exposing an API via the web (though I wouldn't like to assume that its easier)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

British gas have a real opportunity here to expand their market by making their API available. They should link to Raspberry Pi as well and use the energy in that product development. Think of the new markets that would open. ...

Does anyone in BG respond or even read these? It would be decent if they could say if these were planned to be implemented or not. Ifttt has failed to work and left my light on all night. I'm losing patience with hive and regret not going with Google and Philips hue. At least other programmers could make decent use of the hardware if BG can't be bothered to

• LesLes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a new Hive user with some limited coding experience, I would love to have such an ('official') API available. From reading various articles from here and elsewhere, it would appear that BG are either not interested in developing user access to their Hive, or, are dragging their feet over this issue.
        I agree that BG would be very short sighted to ignore this aspect of their product(s), and would likely lose out to other companies who develop their products with user users in mind.
        Although I like the product so far, I would like it much more if there was a route provided to allow me to interact with the Hive via my own coding. I have in mind, a much more comprehensive data presentation that cover much more than the already handy Temperature History bar chart on their site.
        It would be nice if there were more Dev input to this thread to keep us abreast of current/likely developments.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hive is based on the AlertMe API (BG bought AlertMe last year) and there's documentation out there for that if you search. I wrote my own app that links to the API servers using the info and can adjust target temperature, schedules, boost, etc so I know it works.

That said, the documentation isn't great and I ended up using Firefox's Tools > Web Developer > Network option to trace some of the traffic that their web dashboard generated in order to "reverse engineer" some of the calls my app needed.

It would be far better if BG simply published a comprehensive API guide like the competition do.

• Chris McKeownChris McKeown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got my free Hive kit from BG today. If there's no viable API for this stuff then I doubt I will bother to use it. Hive will die out if it doesn't integrate - Nest and SmartThings are streets ahead in this regard.

We defiantly need this, not just for the heating but for the plugs, lights and sensors too, the active lights are a great bit of kit but are quit every slow and combursome to turn on and off cause of having to use the app (as opposed to using a light switch) so having an open API so I could develop my own voice commands or apps to set dim levels and turn lights/plugs on and off would be perfect, I know Alexa does this but I don't really want a echo just for my HIVE products, even google now and SIRI support would suffice for me

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After requesting this from support as well and getting the response of this isnt something they will be looking to release, and the only way possible was to get enough people to follow the idea on the form so I've also voted for this one.

I can only think of a few reasons not to release this,

1. Their hiding something in there api (In my experience normally security vunrliabilites or they dont design the underlying product)
        2. They are trying to force people down the route of their sensors and devices
        3. Their worried people will break the product using the API

I would like to be proven wrong, but unfortunately as I find all to often if the API isn't officially public yet it likely never will be.

But I really believe for Hive to really take off in anything other than basic home automation and make it into real smart houses the API is essential. None of my clients would accept using the Hive control panel but i like the simplicity of pairing and installation.

• Paul WayPaul Way commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also add information from the motion and door sensors to an API, so I can build my own more intelligent home security system.

You may have noticed that most other systems try and brake down their walls with APIs and interfaces. Look at apples keynote and what they are doing with Siri

Hive is the most secular wold and so doomed to failure. Unless you embrace the modern world

• Gary SmithGary Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any way I can download the actual on/off time that the boiler was called into action? I have a lower temp set overnight, but I'd like to see how much the boiler is actually used during this time period. BG staff have been able to send me a graph for set days, but it would be great to get this data directly.

• NigelNigel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an existing Hive heating customer, I should be target market for the new Hive smart plug and other devices. But I won't be buying any of them, and I am now looking at other systems for home automation.

Why am I looking elsewhere? One reason: Hive's lack of a published API or integration with standard services such as IFTTT.

Get that API out there before you miss the boat BG!

There is an un-official API going around on the net can't post on here obviously

There are SO MANY things that could be possible if there was a simple API that allowed developers to read/set schedules, read current temp, set target temp and get notified by callback when the target is changed by the dial control.

NEST has an API so BG are missing a trick my not openning up an API to the community.

• James SaundersJames Saunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can you release a Hive API? Also is there any plans to upen up the Hive hub for web access much like the Philips Hue API?

This could open up so many possible features and innovations through the dev community (and your own dev team can 'sit back' and watch for the interesting/popular initiatives to help guide you choose which are the most popular to include in your own features).

Let 2016 be the year for Hive to blossom!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base